Monday, September 17, 2012

99 Days to Christmas!

Woot woot! "Chrismtas is coming, the goose is getting fat.  Please put a penny in the old man's hat!"
Maggie and her dolly, Christmas 2011

Hello, friends.  Okay, I've never been a crazy Christmas prep person, but I have found when you have a child, you plan way ahead to get the best deals.  But, let me clarify, Christmas to me is really about a Savior who came to walk in flesh, not a time of giving and getting gifts.  So, why do I need 99 days to prepare?

This year I don't want to simply be physically prepared, I want to be spiritually prepared as well.  Imagine if the President of the United States was coming to your home?  What would you do to prepare?  It would probably be something you'd want to start ahead of time.  Well, the King of Kings is coming to my home.  He dwells here all the time, but Christmas is the season we celebrate his birth and I want to make sure I'm prepared! 

I'm going to begin by thinking about traditions I want to continue and traditions that may not be neccesary for my family.  Maggie is almost two so this will be her first Christmas to really "get it."  Mark and I have been praying about how to handle the American commericial traditions versus the focus on our Savior.  We are still ironing out the details.  It's difficult to merge your own beliefs and experiences with that of your spouse when it come to making traditions for your own family. 

I'm also beginning to follow a series on "Home Management 101" called "Have a Stress Free Holiday."  I'm going to link the button so you can join in if you'd like.  I've never done this series before so I'm not sure how good it actually is, but I'm going to give it a try and attempt to report my progress here. 

Have you starting thinking about the holidays yet (starting in October with Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas)?  What are your plans?  Any new traditions you want to begin?  Any old ones you may drop?  Please share in the comments!

I'm looking forward to a fun-filled, Christ-centered holiday season!  Even Halloween can be an opportunity to teach about the Gospel.  More to come on that. . .

4 comments:

  1. I've always enjoyed Christmas, but you're right. It really is so much more magical through the eyes of a child. I'd love to hear how you prepare spiritually. I think this year, I'd like to do some advent activities with Hannah that are more scriptural. We should plan some stuff together! :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Beck! I bought a book at a used book sale several years ago called "Celebrating A Christ-Centered Christmas: Ideas from A-Z" and it lots of great ideas. We should look at it together and plan some things. One thing I've done in the past is the Advent candles here at the house. I ordered Jesse tree ornaments on Etsy to do this year and future years. Have you ever heard of a Jesse tree? It is so cool. I'm sure you could make them yourself!

      Delete
  2. Oh, and how stinkin' adorable is Mags in that picture! I could just squeeze her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think so, too! Sometimes I do squeeze her (not in a scary way, though!) :)

      Delete