Friday, October 5, 2012

The Pumpkin Patch Parable

In one of my previous posts, I mentioned that you can use Halloween as an opportunity to share Christ with your child.  Here's how:

My friend, Susan, introduced me to this book.  It is adorable!  The story tells of how the farmer harvests the vegetables, including the pumpkins.  Here's the description on Amazon:

"The Pumpkin Patch Parable-This charming story for children illustrates how a loving farmer can turn a simple pumpkin into a simply glorious sight. In the same way, God's transforming love can fill each of our hearts with joy and light. Liz Curtis Higgs created this parable as a way to share the Good News with her own precious children each harvest season . . . and now with children everywhere."

Each page also includes a scripture verse that goes along with the part of the story on that page.  Pretty cool!  So, if you're looking for a way to take back Halloween from the principalities of the dark, check out this book!  I also saw that it is on sale at Lifeway right now for $6.39 (reg. $7.99).  The guys I tutor, Maggie, and I are going to do a unit on this book and have fun with pumpkins- pumpkin art, pumpkin product cooking and tasting (yum!), field trip to the pumpkin patch, carving pumpkins and more!!  So, what do you think?  Wasn't Liz Curtis Higgs smart to write this for her children?  

Now for a picture of the cutest little punkin last October:

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize Liz Curtis Higgs wrote children's books. Sounds like a cool book!

    ReplyDelete